Energy Saving Tips
As you are well aware, oil prices are at a record high. With so much uncertainty in the market, the guaranteed way to save money this winter is to burn less oil. To this end, the OrderOil Team has prepared the following list of Energy Saving Tips for our customers.
- Feel for air leaks around windows, doors and electrical outlets. Repair weather-stripping and caulk leaks. (Don't caulk around storm windows because that can hold in moisture and cause damage to the wood frame).
- Seal up cracks in your home's foundation.
- Replace cracked glass
- Seal off your attic-circulating fan with polyethylene and tape.
- Make sure you have at least 6" of good thermal insulation in your ceiling.
- Keep your kitchen vents closed when not in use.
- Remove air conditioning window units or cover them well.
- Use storm windows and doors and make sure they fit tightly. If you don't have storm windows, cover the outside glass with polyethylene sheets.
- Keep closet doors closed.
- Dial back a few degrees. You'll save about 3% on your heating bill for every degree that you set back your thermostat full time. (Turn it back 10 degrees when you go to work and again when you go to bed, and you can save about 14% on your heating bill.)
In addition, to the above list there are some other simple steps you may consider. Installing a programmable, set-back thermostat. This is a low cost solution for reducing energy consumption. Be sure to have the annual tune up for your heating system to ensure maximum operating efficiency. You can contact your OrderOil dealer to schedule the work.
If your budget allows, you may want to consider upgrading your heating equipment. A new flame retention burner generally produces annual energy savings of 15-18% and can pay for itself within 3 years. Upgrading to a new high efficiency boiler or furnace can create savings of 20-40% with a payback within 4-8 years. Your OrderOil dealer will be happy to provide with a no obligation estimate if you desire to further explore these options.
We hope you find these Energy Saving Tips useful as the cold weather moves in. As always, you can order your oil directly on the website. THANK YOU for your consideration and the opportunity to earn your business.